Our 2016 Wish List of where we would like to Travel!
How do we decide where to travel? It is actually a bit of wishful thinking, practicalities and financial realities all competing. And somehow out of that we begin with a bit of a plan of where would like to go. I am not sure we have ever actually traveled the year as we thought we would at the beginning of the year when we made the wish list, but you have to start somewhere. So here is the 2016 Wish List!
Some Initial Thinking
As there are two of us, we each keep a top 10 list of where we want to go. We compare lists and talk about which things we would really like to do in the coming year. One of the things our friends and family think is rather amusing is we have a weighting factor which includes if we need to go now (while we are young and fit) or if we can go anytime. Most of our hiking or very remote destinations are high on the sooner rather than later list.
I do want to disclose that this list is not the same as what you will see covered on Compass & Fork. We operate much like a magazine with an editorial calendar set months in advance. Where we are traveling, or where we are in the world, is not necessarily the same place appearing as the “Destination” on Compass & Fork. So this post is about where we will physically travel, not Destinations we will feature on Compass & Fork. One friend remarked that since we started Compass & Fork it has made it even more difficult to keep track of where we actually are, not easier!
North & South America
So for 2016, we are now as we speak trying to decide between these places (in no particular priority order)
- Alaska- we would love to do a small ship cruise in Alaska and visit Denali National Park. This is a hiking destination for us, so in the sooner rather than later category. Due to weather we need to be there in the North American summer.
- Cuba- Now that it is opening up to American tourism and trade, we would like to go sooner rather than later. I love the pictures of Cuba with all the old cars; it is like a time warp. I’d like to see it before globalization works its voodoo. Add in the fact I love Cuban food and hopefully this happens in 2016. Unfortunately we have hurricane season to contend with which means North American summer is not a good time.
- Ecuador- staying on that side of the World, we would love to travel to Ecuador. We have wanted to go for a while but despite traveling extensively through South America we have not made it. Is 2016 our year?
- Nicaragua and Colombia- if we go to this side of the world and into South America both Colombia and Nicaragua are on the wish list. When we were younger neither of these countries were places you could travel to because of internal conflict and personal safety risks so it would be great to visit them and see what they are like today.
That ends that side of the world, so geographically, we move toward Europe:
- Scotland- yes we have been there a few times already but it is one of our favorites, we have friends and family there, and we can use it as an excuse to visit London, one of our favorite cities. Also we would love to share the food and drink with you and there is a hike or two we are keen to do. So all in all it has a lot going for it.
- Spain and Portugal- I am not sure this needs a lot of explanation. Food, drink, culture, great weather and still rather cheap at the moment. I think this is our year.
- Morocco- Okay this is pretty high on both our lists. We want to trek into the Atlas Mountains and seriously I cannot think of a better food destination. If we make it to Spain and Portugal we are too close not to go to Morocco as well! (On the Europe list due to geography.)
Rest of the World
Moving Further East
Malaysia – We have been here and traveled around a bit, although it was some time ago. At one point we had family here so it was too good of an opportunity, we had to visit. We are however keen to go to Penang (Georgetown) and I wouldn’t pass up an opportunity to sit on a beach somewhere.
- Sri Lanka- Again a great food destination and a chance to explore a totally different culture for us. Sri Lanka in also a bit like Columbia and Nicaragua in that for a long time it was off limits. Now might be a great time to visit before it too has globalization visit.
Nepal- We would love to go and hike through Nepal we almost made it a couple of years ago but due to some personal, family issues it was postponed. Then Nepal suffered a rather large earthquake. We have been following reports and now seems a good time to head in that direction. Prime hiking season however, is prime travel time other places as well so we may be squeezed to be in two places at once (when is that app/technology coming?)
- And lastly but certainly not least, Tasmania. One of our favorite places on the planet. If you have never been there and you like the great outdoors you don’t know what you’re missing. We haven’t been there in a while so we are due to go. In addition, the Cradle Mountain Walk, one of Tasmania’s premier hikes is there and in the sooner rather than later category as it is strenuous, requires camping and carrying a pack. A new, long distance walk (the south coast walk) has also recently been opened in southern Tasmania. If we are fit enough to do the Cradle Mountain Walk, well we might as well keep walking.
So that is our 2016 Wish List. You can follow along and see where we end up. For next year’s retrospective we will have this to look back on and see where we actually went. Stay tuned.
Have a great year! Where are you hoping to travel in 2016? What is your 2016 Wish List? Leave a comment.